Friday 21 November 2008

Potato pancakes & chickweed salad

A quick, tasty lunch that is really cheap to make.

Finely grate one large potato into a wet mush. It makes two handfuls! Squish out some of the wet starch, but leaving enough to bind. I like to finely chop half an onion into the mush and add pepper. Any variation is possible, using up a spare carrot, parsnip etc, adding spices, anything.
Heat a bit of oil, squash the mush into 1cm-ish pancakes and fry gently for a few minutes.
I like them with chickweed which is plentiful along towpaths. Full of vitamins A and C and available pretty much all year round (slightly tougher in winter but still good).
Chickweed

5 comments:

Bec said...

why can't I comment? Anyway just a query - is the potato raw or cooked? Looks yummy!

Simon said...

looks great, I must try this. I guess the grated potato cooks through fairly quickly if grated and in a thin pancake - isn't raw potatoe supposed to play havoc with digestion? ;-)

Llosgi said...

It's cooked! Cos it's grated finely.

Simon said...

I can't believe I spelled 'potato' with an e! It's a typo, honest, I'm not George Bush in disguise...

MortimerBones said...

i do very similar with chickpeas instead of potato, and add some spices to it too - cumin, coriander, tumeric and garam masala (always twice as much gs as coriander or cumin). I will try it with sweet potato this week.

YUM!