Sunday 23 November 2008

Christmas is Coming

Thank you for the invite to post on FUD, Simon. I have just enjoyed reading the previous posts, they've entertained, informed and provoked deep thought. I've heard about "you soak it...." but never bothered as I have a bit of food-information overload. Like you, I'd like to find out for myself/research more before accepting information from one source. It is on my list of things to think about. But my thoughts have been turning to Christmas. My Grandmother and her sister have recently become vegetarians, and this will be our first completely meat-free family Christmas which is something quite amazing for us to witness. I'm usually in charge of cooking the Christmas lunch, and I've been happy to cook the meat for everyone else in the past, this year I'm cooking nut roast for everyone.

As you mention, Simon, food choices aren't simple, we followed a vegan diet for a short while, but when faced with free food from Rick's work that would otherwise have been binned I found that I couldn't let it go to waste, plus I never got on with Soya products, food miles and taste really go against it, ultimately I concluded I'd much rather buy organic butter/cheese from a small shop (we have a nice co-operatively owned health food shop nearby) and have less of it. Ditto eggs.

It is much harder for me to define my choices to other people, having a label like "vegan" does make it easier in some respects I imagine. Each item I buy goes through a complicated selection process (shop I'm buying it from, animal/veg source, organic or not, additives, packaging, who made it etc....) that perhaps can't easily be second-guessed by others.

So I've deviated a little. Nut Roast.
I regularly make a nut roast with toasted hazelnuts, roasted buckwheat and grated parsnip as the main ingredients - I do bind it with egg - I never follow a recipe, I throw in what looks about right, but I'm making it this week and I'll take care to record what I do, and I'll post the recipe. Can I put in a request for anyone else's nut roast recipes?

3 comments:

Llosgi said...

Ha - I never follow recipes either! I love chestnuts in nut roasts which can also be pureed to act as a binder.

Simon said...

Being rubbish (which is why I started this in the first place) I tend to open a packet, but do add extra chopped onion & red pepper etc (normally need to reduce amount of added liquid when doing this).

I did once make a nut load from scratch, which seemed to have far more breacrumbs than were strictly necessary, and was far too wet... but it's something I'd try again.

Alison Smith said...

Ahh chestnuts, that is Christmassy, I'd like to do a no-egg one. My friend recommended pistacios and melon seeds as key ingredients, the melon seeds are cheap and an unusual ingredient. As I type we're ice breaking :-)