Wednesday 19 November 2008

Drinking rainwater

Simon's mention of minerals made me think about my drinking habits ;-)
As some will know, I've recently got a rainwater harvesting system going on the boat. It's working really well so far, supplementing my fill-ups at BW points. What I didn't know was that if you're relying solely on rainwater, you have to remineralise it to get the various (she says vaguely) minerals that we need for good health. You'd think the stuff that falls from the sky was the most perfect drink but I guess that, in a natural state, man would drink from streams and rivers that flowed across rocks and through sediment. Even well water would have gone through this process.
I was talking to the friendly woman who works as a distributor of the 'candles' that are the filtering part of my purification system (British Berkfeld gravity filter). She told me her family have a lump of granite in their filter and hope for the best! I'd like to research it more even though I think I'm ok because my rainwater is mixed in with the stuff from the taps.

1 comment:

Simon said...

I must look at the setups - I don't seem to be emailed the comments from my posts, let alone posts by others...?

I do wonder how much of our usual water intake actually comes from food etc anyway. Obviously you'll be using 'your' water when cooking etc, but there may be enough in veg etc grown with water from a 'ground' source.

Again, I feel slightly lost knowing what is significant and what isn't - if something is 'abd for you' (like the phytic acid thing) how bad is it? The body is pretty good at coping with most things - how do we tell, frankly?