Wednesday 5 November 2008

New Pans

Chiswick car boot sale neatly fulfilled it's purpose of passing on the junk of the middle classes, and I now own two Le Crueset cast iron pans. I've had a frying pan from them for about fifteen years, and it's served me well, so it's nice to replace two rather basic Ikea pans with these. They're hardly used yet (by me), but are nicely 'slow' compared to the thinner precursors; whilst taking longer to heat up, they stay warmer for longer, too.

they guy who sold them to me said he was getting rid of them as he'd just retiled his kitchen floor, and didn't want to crack it by dropping a pan; I think that's a recommendation, and certainly not a problem for my old concrete floor.

A question for others; I'm tempted to buy some kind of electric whisk or food processor to try to make soups properly, but I'd rather not; would a hand whisk do the same kind of job, albeit with more elbow grease involved?

3 comments:

MortimerBones said...

OOoh le crueset! I just LOVE them!

Llosgi said...

I was once given a le Creuset saucepan by a posh activist. It's been fantastic for cooking on the wood stove cos it's so heavy and stable and has a fat bottom. All good things.

I have the same dilemma about the whisk, not wanting to buy electric. I've managed by using the rolling pin on things like kidney beans (for burgers) and a hand whisk for batters etc. But the thing I really miss is being able to make proper hummous!

Simon said...

I used a hand whisk on some potato & lentil soup the other day, and it did the job OK. Again, it's reasons for having/not having things; in my kitchen at home with mains electricity on tap it would make more sense that on a boat, but I've managed fine so far...