Sunday 7 December 2008

Vital Stand-by Ingredients from Happyhome

I can't be without -

CHILLI DIPPING SAUCE - I buy large bottles of it from the lovely Oriental Supermarket in Leamington, it is cheap and seems to work wonders wherever I splash it around.

Spicy Squash and Tomato Soup
======================
In the same medium oven slowly roast chunks of squash and halved tomatoes until the squash is soft and a bit caramelised and the tomatoes are semi-dried. Finely dice and soften some onions and garlic, add the squash and tomato and enough boiling water to cover, simmer for 10 minutes and mash away with a potato masher, the tomatoes break down surprisingly well. Add a tablespoon or two (as your taste requires) of sweet chilli dipping sauce towards the end - this is all there is to it, though a handful of fresh coriander and finely sliced spring onions at the point of serving would lift this from warm and comforting, to zingy and interesting.

2 comments:

Llosgi said...

It sounds delicious. I'm definitely going to give this a go when I go down to my parent's home over Christmas.

Simon said...

chilli dipping sauce makes a useful spread on toast, I've discovered, after buying some after reading this post... ;-)

Oh, and onions. I use onions in virtually every cooked meal. ;-)