Monday 6 October 2008

let's start with a boring one...

I often finish work later than ideal, and this is probably a step up from bread and a tin of beans, or pasta & a jar of sauce but only just. Another major problem I have is shift work and being out all day/evening if not working (boat, if not elsewhere), so I don't always have a lot of fresh veg to hand.

Assuming I have potatoes - boiled potatoes, with other winter veg if to hand, or worst (and most common) case frozen peas. To go with that, a frozen supermarket beanburger. Mushroom ketchup (if I've been able to buy any recently) or some kind of chutney/relish for flavour.

This doesn't take too long, includes some fresh veg content, and some carbohydrate & protein. The potatoes/peas/winter veg are likely to be british in origin, the beanburger contents unknown.

the obvious improvment to what is basically fast food would be the beanburger - I have tried making my own and freezing them to varying degrees of success. I'm not obsessed with a daily obvious source of protein, but it doesn't do any harm - I generally put food together for colour/texture variation, which often gives the desired effect of a varied diet.;-)

I'd like to record beanburger etc attempts here in future, I think. Something similar would be home made falafel; I'm not sure I'd want to heat up oil every time I used some from the freezer, mind, so I'm assume it could be pre-cooked and grilled? Or just grilled to start with?

No comments: